Annons:
Tagpaints-and-crafts
Read 2791 times
Tammie
2018-02-06 01:11

Graffiti as an Art Form

Image 1. Click to open in original size.
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

What do you think about Graffiti as an art form? I was going to write and article on the Evolution of Art Painting.  So I Googled, "Evolution of Art Painting". Up came a  list of 10 historical periods of painting in Art. Medieval, Early Renaissance, Northern Renaissance, High Renaissance, Mannerism, Baroque, Rococo, Neoclassicism, Romanticism, and Realism. 

What??? The Medieval period is not when the first known paintings were painted! Not only that, come to find out, the first known paintings are also thought to be the first know Graffiti. Who knew?  So, instead of writing about the "The Evolution of Art Painting,"  I had to allow the article to morph on it's own into "Graffiti as an Art Form" 

Most people think of Graffiti as a more recent form of Art. Or, if when viewed negatively, some have called it "Artistic Vandalism." The definition of Graffiti as a noun is "writing or drawings scribbled, scratched, or sprayed illicitly on  a wall or other surface in a public place." 

When did people first start painting? People started painting way before Medieval times that is for sure! Does a "cave dwelling" match the description of a "public Place?" I am relatively certain that cave dwellings back in the day were the only "public" places around. Or at least the only ones to last thousands of years!  What is believed to be The oldest known Art in the World exists in caves in Indonesia. These are the earliest known paintings by humans. Not only that, they appear to be spray paintings and therefore have been called the earliest known graffiti. 

As for modern graffiti, there have been some really talented graffiti artist. If I had to pick out a favorite modern day graffiti artist I would have to say "Alexandre Manuel Dias Farto" whose tag name is Vhils, is my favorite. He was born in Portugal and is known for his own unique style. He started in graffiti at the young age of 10 years old. 

I find it very interesting that graffiti was one of the earliest known art forms, it still exists today and has kind of made a comeback in the last 50 years or so.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Annons:
Emo
2018-02-06 06:12

Wonderful pictures and very intersting text.

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Tammie
2018-02-06 08:36

Thank you Emo!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Evelina
2018-02-06 08:43

Very good article! So informative and engaging! I’ll have to post some photos of my favorite once I have access to my laptop.

Niklas
2018-02-06 10:30

I like graffiti when it is art. Banksy is my absolute favorite. His art is very clever. Have you seen the “Exit through the gift shop” film about Banksy? http://banksyfilm.com/

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2018-02-06 14:26
Image 1. Click to open in original size.
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

Graffiti is often very eye-catching! It amazes me how someone can produce such good work often at high heights and dangerous conditions such as bridges and railway tracks.  Here are some pictures of some of the graffiti I saw in Oslo, Norway this weekend.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tammie
2018-02-06 16:23

Wow Leia,

Those are awesome! 

Nikklas, 

I not seen that film. I will watch it later today!

Evelina,

Thank you!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Annons:
Tammie
2018-02-06 16:55

I would love to see more Graffiti posts from your local areas!

Happy creating!

Tammie

phamilton2318
2018-02-16 20:57

Great article, very informative and educational. I would love to see pictures of the cave art that you referred to.

Peggy

Tammie
2018-02-17 07:36

Thank you Peggy! I was not able to find pictures of it that I can use.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Scroll to top
Annons: